January 3, 2018
IRVINE, Calif. (January 3, 2018) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported December U.S. sales of 26,893 vehicles, representing a decrease of 6.5 percent versus December of last year. There were 26 selling days in December 2017, versus 27 the year prior. As such, on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis, the company posted a decrease of 2.9 percent.
The company also reported calendar year (CY) 2017 total sales (combined fleet and retail) today, totaling 289,470, down 2.8 percent, versus CY2016. There were 306 selling days in CY2017, versus 305 in CY2016; the full-year DSR represented a decrease of 3.1 percent.
Key December and CY2017 sales notes:
- As part of Mazda‘s brand value management strategy, MNAO continued to significantly reduce fleet sales with 11,346 vehicles sold in CY2017. This number represents a decrease of 44.3 percent year-over-year (YOY).
- Backing fleet numbers out of the total vehicles sold, MNAO posted a 0.2 percent increase in retail-only sales for CY2017, with 278,124 vehicles sold.
- Mazda CX-5 posted record sales numbers in December, marking its best-ever month since first going on sale in February of 2012. Posting its tenth best-ever month in CY2017, CX-5 recorded a YOY increase of 17.6 percent, with 14,097 vehicles sold in December.
- Following the introduction of the new 2017 Mazda CX-5 in March, a record 127,563 CX-5 vehicles were sold in CY2017; marking an increase of 13.7 percent YOY, and beating its previous best-ever sales year in CY2016.
- Sales of the seven-passenger Mazda CX-9 rose 26.3 percent YOY, with 3,276 vehicles sold in the month of December. With 25,828 vehicles sold in CY2017, the CX-9 finished the year up 60.9 percent.
- The Mazda MX-5 Miata finished December down 32.0 percent YOY, with 493 vehicles sold, while full-year sales of the two-seat roadster were 11,294, marking a YOY increase of 19.3 percent.
- As crossover vehicle sales continue to dominate the U.S. market, Mazda’s CX-line posted YOY sales growth, with CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 posting an increase of 16.8 percent in December. The three crossover vehicles finished the year up 15.6 percent, with 169,746 vehicles sold in CY2017.
- With much of the U.S. now in the winter months, Mazda‘s i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive system – available as an option on all Mazda crossover SUVs – continues its popularity among crossover SUV buyers, with 59.9 percent of buyers choosing the option.
- MNAO reported Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) sales of 3,858 vehicles in the month of December, marking an increase of 20.8 percent YOY. Full-year sales resulted in a record CPO year for MNAO, posting YOY sales growth of 17.0 percent with 43,730 vehicles sold.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported December sales of 5,619 vehicles, down 16 percent versus December of last year. Total CY2017 sales for MMdM were 54,163 vehicles, representing a decrease of 1.0 percent when compared to CY2016.
Forward-looking announcements made by Mazda in 2017 focused on human-centric vehicle development and building the Mazda brand. Major announcements included:
- Next-generation engine technologies with SKYACTIV-X
- A long-term vision for future technology development with Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030
- Next-generation KODO—Soul of Motion design vision through VISION COUPE
- A partnership for future collaboration to include a new production facility in the United States, technologies for electric vehicles, development of connected-car technologies and collaboration on safety technologies
- A new era for Mazda Motorsports through Mazda Team Joest
- A recommitment to the communities in which it does business through Mazda Drive for Good
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 600 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
Carley Hummel, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6913
Eric Booth, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6144