February 1, 2017
IRVINE, Calif. (February 1, 2017) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported January U.S. sales of 21,698 vehicles, representing an increase of 10.1 percent versus January of last year, and the best January sales month in five years. Solid sales performance across the lineup was headlined by consumers’ continued strong desire for crossover SUVs.
Key January sales notes:
- The Mazda CX-5 posted its best-ever January with 8,068 vehicles sold, showing continued momentum leading up to the on-sale date of the all-new 2017 model later this Spring. This number represents an increase of 14.2 percent year-over-year (YOY).
- The Mazda CX-9 posted an increase of 210.7 percent YOY, with 1,591 vehicles sold.
- Mazda‘s CX crossover SUV sales—including the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9—were up 21.1 percent YOY with 10,843 sold. Of the total CX-line sales, 60 percent of vehicles were equipped with i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive.
- Sales of the Mazda6 started the year off strong, posting a 28.3 percent increase YOY with 3,300 vehicles sold.
- Even with much of the U.S. experiencing winter weather, popularity of the MX-5 Miata continues with 929 vehicles sold. This number represents an increase of 65.9 percent YOY. Sales totals for the MX-5 include both the MX-5 soft top and MX-5 RF.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported January sales of 4,759 vehicles, down 18.6 percent versus January of last year.
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
# # #
Carley Hummel, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6913
Eric Booth, Mazda North American Operations, 562-252-6036