January 4, 2017
IRVINE, Calif. (January 4, 2017) – Wrapping up a year focused on long-term growth objectives, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported December U.S. sales of 28,754 vehicles, representing a decrease of 1.8 percent versus December of last year. There were 27 selling days in December 2016, versus 28 the year prior. As such, on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis, the company posted an increase of 1.8 percent.
The company also reported calendar year (CY) 2016 total sales (combined fleet and retail) today, totaling 297,773, down 6.7 percent, following a 20-year-high record sales year in CY2015. There were 307 selling days in CY 2016, versus 308 in CY2015; the full-year DSR represented a decrease of 6.4 percent.
“In 2016, we developed a more defined focus on brand value management, which steered our business away from fleet sales and incentive pricing,” said Masahiro Moro, president and CEO of MNAO. “Rather than chasing sales simply for the sake of growth, we will continue to focus on transforming our business operations to deliver an experience that will result in higher customer and dealer loyalty, improved long-term residual value and increased satisfaction at all levels of our business, independent from sales volume numbers.”
Key December and CY2016 sales notes:
- As part of the overall sales strategy, MNAO significantly reduced fleet sales, with 20,359 vehicles sold in CY2016 representing a decrease of 28.0 percent YOY.
- Backing the fleet numbers out of the total vehicles sold, MNAO posted a slight decline in retail-only sales for CY2016, with 277,414 vehicles sold. This number represents a 4.6 percent decrease in sales YOY.
- With crossover SUV sales dominating the sales landscape in CY2016, Mazda’s crossover lineup shone this year. Overall, CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 posted an increase of 13.6 percent in December. For the year, the three vehicles posted sales up 8.0 percent, with 146,843 vehicles sold in CY2016.
- With much of the U.S. now in the winter months, Mazda‘s i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive system – available optionally on all Mazda crossover SUVs – continues its popularity among crossover SUV buyers, with 63 percent of buyers choosing the option.
- Mazda CX-5 posted its best-ever month in December with 11,989 vehicles sold, making this its fifth best-ever month in CY2016. For the full year, CX-5 sold a record 112,235 vehicles, an increase of 5.0 percent YOY and CX-5’s best-ever sales year.
- Mazda CX-3 completed its first full year of sales, ending the year up 189.7 percent, with 18,557 vehicles sold.
- The all-new 2016 Mazda CX-9 launched during CY2016 and posted its best December since 2012, with 2,594 vehicles sold. This number represents an increase of 115.5 percent YOY.
- The Mazda MX-5 Miata finished December up 3.8% YOY, with 733 vehicles sold. Continued interest in MX-5, and early deliveries of the 2017 MX-5 RF, resulted in full-year sales of 9,465 vehicles in CY2016, an increase of 10.2 percent YOY. The 2017 MX-5 RF recorded 314 vehicles sold in the month of December.
- Major changes impacting sales in CY2016 included the discontinuation of sales of the Mazda2 and Mazda5, as well as the introduction of the 2016 CX-9 and 2017 MX-5 RF, and refreshed versions of the Mazda3 and Mazda6.
- Mazda’s December sales of 28,754 vehicles add up to more than $4.3 million in donations ($150 for every vehicle sold during the month) as part of the Mazda Drive for Good program in 2017. Total results for the 2016 charity event, which ran from November 21, 2016 to January 3, 2017, will be released at a later date.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported December sales of 6,651 vehicles, down 19.0 percent versus December of last year. Total CY2016 sales for MMdM were 54,891 vehicles, representing a decrease of 12.7 percent when compared to CY2015.
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
# # #
Carley Hummel, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6913
Eric Booth, Mazda North American Operations, 562-252-6036