January 3, 2019
IRVINE, Calif. (Jan. 3, 2019) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported total December sales of 25,870 vehicles, a decrease of 3.8 percent compared to December 2017. With 26 selling days in December 2018, compared to 26 the year prior, the company posted a decrease of 3.8 percent on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis.
Sales for 2018 totaled 300,325 vehicles an increase of 3.7 percent compared to 2017. There were 307 selling days in 2018, versus 306 in 2017, resulting in a full-year DSR increase of 3.4 percent.
KEY SALES NOTES:
- While Mazda’s CX-line, including the CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9, saw December sales decline by 6.5 percent to 18,955 vehicles, total sales of the three crossover vehicles finished the year up 15.3 percent, with 195,778 vehicles sold in 2018.
- Sales of the Mazda6 totaled 2,357 in December, an increase of 32.7 percent compared to 2017. Mazda6 sales for 2018 reached 30,938 vehicles, a decrease of 7.4 percent compared to 2017.
- The Mazda MX-5 Miata finished December up 3.7 percent, with 511 vehicles sold, while full-year sales of the two-seat roadster totaled 8,971, a decrease of 20.6 percent compared to 2017.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported December sales of 6,055 vehicles, an increase of 8 percent compared to December last year. MMdM saw record-setting sales in 2018 totaling 58,105 vehicles, an increase of 7 percent compared to last year.
2018 was an exciting year for Mazda, with many developments in North America. Major announcements included:
- The celebration of 50 million vehicles made in Japan
- The launch of the “Feel Alive” Campaign
- The announcement of Mazda’s electrification and connectivity strategies
- The launch of the all-new Mazda3 at the Los Angeles Auto Show
- The breaking ground of the Mazda Toyota Manufacturing Plant
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States and Mexico through nearly 700 dealers. Operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
# # #
Mary Katherine Lim, Mazda North American Operations, 949-334-0776
Emily Taylor, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6182