January 4, 2022
IRVINE, Calif. (Jan. 4, 2022) – Mazda North American Operations (MNAO) today reported total December sales of 19,422 vehicles, a decrease of 38 percent compared to December 2020. Full year sales totaled 332,756 vehicles; an increase of 19.2 percent compared to 2020. With 27 selling days in December, compared to 28 the year prior, the company posted a decrease of 35.7 percent on a Daily Selling Rate (DSR) basis. With 306 selling days in 2021, compared to 309 in 2020, the company posted an increase of 20.3 percent on a DSR basis for the year.
- Mazda achieved its best year in sales since 1994, with a total of 332,756 vehicles sold in 2021.
- Mazda3, CX-30, CX-5, and CX-9 all achieved double-digit percent sales increases vs 2020:
- Mazda3 sales increased 12 percent, with 37,653 vehicles sold
- MX-5 sales increased 20 percent, with 10,547 vehicles sold
- CX-30 sales increased 58 percent; achieving its best sales since launch with 60,185 vehicles sold
- CX-5 sales increased 15 percent; achieving its best sales since launch with 168,383 vehicles sold
- CX-9 sales increased 25 percent; achieving its best sales since launch with 34,493 vehicles sold
- Full year CPO sales totaled 69,066 vehicles; an increase of 4.0 percent compared to 2020.
Despite its challenges, 2021 was a memorable year for Mazda, as the brand focused on community appreciation and achieved many milestones in the US, including:
- The launch of the MX-30, Mazda’s first battery-electric vehicle.
- The launch of the Essential Car Care Program for teachers, which helped provide free oil changes and enhanced cleaning to thousands of educator heroes.
- The global world premiere of the CX-50, the first vehicle to be built at Mazda’s new Alabama manufacturing plant beginning in 2022.
- For the second consecutive year, all tested Mazda vehicles earned the IIHS 2021 TOP SAFETY PICK+. These vehicles include the Mazda3 Sedan and Mazda3 Hatchback, Mazda6, CX-3, CX-30 (built after September 2020), CX-5 and CX-9.
- A leading consumer publication ranked Mazda as the second most reliable brand.
Mazda Canada, Inc., (MCI) reported December sales of 1,948 vehicles, a decrease of 53.1 percent compared to December last year. Year-to-date sales increased 12.4 percent with 60,253 vehicles sold.
Mazda Motor de Mexico (MMdM) reported December sales of 4,706 vehicles, a decrease of 2.8 percent compared to December last year. Year-to-date sales increased 7.7 percent, with 62,201 vehicles sold.
Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, California, and oversees the sales, marketing, parts, and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada, and Mexico through approximately 780 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada Inc. in Richmond Hill, Ontario, and operations in Mexico are managed by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City. For more information on Mazda vehicles, including photography and B-roll, please visit the online Mazda media center at InsideMazda.MazdaUSA.com/Newsroom.
Tamara Mlynarczyk, Mazda North American Operations, 202-431-6325
Emily Taylor, Mazda North American Operations, 949-727-6182