Mazda recently revealed the Retractable Fastback version of the award-winning MX-5 Miata, named the MX-5 RF. The aim of the design is to offer the excitement of open-air driving with the convenience and comfort of a hardtop.
Mazda employed the philosophy of “innovate to preserve” when it introduced the all-new 2016 MX-5, building on its 27-year history of being fun to drive while appealing to modern standards of design and comfort. But to exceed expectations for the much anticipated MX-5 RF, Mazda went the extra mile to deliver a car that is as stunning as it is functional.
Here are seven things you may not have known about Mazda’s latest sports car:
- The top stows away in about 13 seconds. It is among the fastest power retractable roofs of any car ever made and operates while the vehicle is moving at speeds up to 6 mph.
- The show car displayed at the 2016 New York International Auto Show is colored Machine Gray with a black hardtop and Nappa leather interior. All of these colors and options will be available in the production version, and it will be available with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.
- The Auburn-colored Nappa leather is the same leather that recently debuted in the all-new 2016 CX-9, Mazda’s flagship three-row crossover SUV. Machine Gray also joins as a new premium color that was developed with the same precision as Mazda’s signature Soul Red multi-coat paint.
- MX-5 RF will be available in the same colors as the MX-5 Club and Grand Touring models. All versions of MX-5 RF will come with Blind Spot Monitoring and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
- Besides its roof and available Nappa leather interior, another difference stands out: The MX-5 RF will have a standard 4.6-inch color TFT screen in its gauges, another touch borrowed from the 2016 CX-9.
- It’s quieter. Extra sound-absorbing material is used in the headliner, front and middle roof panels, and rear wheel housings results in a significantly quieter ride when the roof is closed.
- Like soft-top models, MX-5 RF will come standard with LED headlights and tail lights. Club models will come with a limited-slip rear differential, Bilstein shocks, a front brace and available Brembo front brakes and BBS wheels. Grand Touring models come with heated leather seating surfaces, adaptive headlights and navigation.
Why is it called RF?
RF stands for Retractable Fastback. The name comes from the model’s retractable hardtop and fastback styling.
When will the car be available?
In the United States, the MX-5 RF is slated to go on-sale early in 2017.
How can I pre-order the car?
Pre-ordering will begin later this year. Click here to sign up and stay updated.
What colors will it be available?
Exterior color availability will depend on the market, but at this time, MX-5 RF will be released with seven colors globally, including:
- Machine Gray Metallic
- Soul Red Metallic
- Ceramic Metallic
- Blue Reflex Mica
- Crystal White Pearl Mica
- Arctic White
- Jet Black Mica
What will it cost?
Pricing will be released closer to the on-sale date.
For more information on the Mazda MX-5 RF Miata, click here.