March 13, 2020
On Friday, March 13, the below statement was shared with Mazda North American Operations employees from President Jeff Guyton in reaction to the coronavirus.
Each day, news of the coronavirus, its scale and human impact, continues to grow. Many of us know individuals who are already affected, or we are experiencing uncertainty about what will happen in our own communities.
These are challenging times for everyone, and I’m here to say Mazda is with you. Our company has seen its fair share of challenges over the last 100 years, and I am confident that our resilience and challenger spirit will help us navigate the coronavirus and all that comes with and beyond it.
While there have been no confirmed cases in any of our MNAO offices, it is our responsibility to try to keep it that way by prioritizing your health and well-being. Through that lens, a rapid response team is actively monitoring the situation and will continue to make decisions designed to keep us safe and healthy during this time.
We plan to provide regular updates in order to minimize uncertainty in the coming days and weeks. We will also begin posting all updates on the intranet homepage shortly.
My dad was a doctor. His constant advice to me as a child was “keep your hands washed, and keep them away from your face, especially your eyes and nose.” That was good advice then and it appears to be doubly so now. Please take care of yourself, your families and your communities as we’re all in this together.
As of Friday, March 13, current protocols include:
- MNAO employees are encouraged to work from home for the remainder of March, both exempt and non-exempt employees.
- Non-Exempt Employees: If you have the capability to perform the core roles and responsibilities of your job function remotely, you are encouraged to do so.
- All business travel is suspended until further notice, both domestic and international.
- As per previous policy, anyone returning from level 2 or 3 locations must inform Human Resources and work from home for 14 days.
- Visitors to all MNAO offices and facilities are suspended at this time.
- Practice social distancing by maintaining approximately six feet distances between individuals where possible when working in the office. Employees are encouraged to conduct virtual meetings as much as possible, using MNAO’s available technology or phone.
- If you will be on-site, continue to maintain a clean workstation, and make an effort to identify and maintain designated work areas and surfaces to the extent possible.
- If you, any of your immediate household members, or anyone you have recently come into contact with tests positive for coronavirus, you are highly encouraged to immediately notify the HR Department.
MNAO closely monitors expert guidance on this matter, including from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). We continue to assess the coronavirus health emergency and will provide regular guidance to our employees.